Coronavirus disease 19, also known as COVID-19 or simply coronavirus, has reached the United States in a flurry of fear, panic and information from a wide variety of sources. To combat the spread of misinformation and to empower our patients with accurate knowledge, the physicians at Healing Motion PC have consolidated some of our most frequently-asked questions into one convenient fact sheet.
Below, you will also find a list of resources you can continue to trust through the duration of the pandemic, along with our contact information and testing procedures. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any further questions you may have regarding COVID-19.
Coronavirus disease 19, or COVID-19, is a respiratory virus that spreads from person to person. People in close proximity (within about six feet) can pass the virus by coughing or sneezing, during which the uninfected person comes in contact with infected respiratory droplets. COVID-19 may also spread through contact with infected surfaces.
The most common symptoms of coronavirus are similar to symptoms of the flu. Along with mild to severe respiratory illness, the three telltale signs include:
As a virus, COVID-19 cannot be treated with antibiotics.
There is currently no vaccine that protects against COVID-19. However, efforts are being made across the scientific community to produce one.
You and your family’s best defense against COVID-19 is intensive hygiene, particularly hand-washing at every opportunity. It is essential to practice proper hand-washing techniques to fully protect yourself against germs.
While hand-washing with soap and water is the most effective method of killing germs, hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol will significantly reduce the amount of germs you carry. Please note: hand sanitizer is not a sufficient replacement for soap and water, and you should always completely wash your hands when possible.
You can also protect yourself by cleaning and disinfecting your environment, as contact with infected surfaces may also spread COVID-19. Be a good citizen by treating public spaces and amenities as you would your home - use disinfectant wipes at your desk, keep surfaces clean, and sanitize your hands whenever you can.
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), “Quarantine means separating a person or group of people who have been exposed to a contagious disease but have not developed illness (symptoms) from others who have not been exposed, in order to prevent the possible spread of that disease.” If you have recently traveled out of the country to a location currently reporting infections, or if you have come into contact with someone who has since tested positive for COVID-19, you may be asked to complete a quarantine.
Important note: The only group of people who are “at a higher risk” of contracting COVID-19 are those who have been exposed, regardless of race or nationality.
The quarantine period for coronavirus is 14 days, which is the longest observed incubation period for the disease. Once a person has completed a 14-day quarantine or been released from isolation, they are no longer at risk of infecting others.
Unfortunately, not everything you see and hear about COVID-19 is verified fact. Here is a short list of some commonly-circulated, false statements about the virus which have been debunked by the WHO:
When it comes to a global pandemic, misinformation can be dangerous. For a list of verified resources, please scroll to the bottom of this page.
At the present time you need a doctor’s prescription to be tested for COVID-19. Therefore see your doctor as soon as possible or call the county Health Department at 412-687-2243.
We recommend you consult your doctor for best treatment and practice isolation/quarantine/social distancing to prevent spreading COVID-19. We will be happy to resume your PT or Pilates/Gyrotonic sessions once you are virus free.
J. Christopher Potts, PT, DPT at 412-363-4050 or firstname.lastname@example.org
1. PA STATE GUIDANCE FOR ESSENTIAL BUSINESSES. Governor Wolf directed all non-essential businesses to close for 14 days in order to interrupt transmission of COVID-19. He has defined essential businesses to include healthcare facilities, which includes Healing Motion PT & Wellness Center. This is from the governor’s directive:
Essential services and sectors include but are not limited to food processing, agriculture, industrial manufacturing, feed mills, construction, trash collection, grocery and household goods (including convenience stores), home repair/hardware and auto repair, pharmacy and other medical facilities, biomedical and healthcare, post offices and shipping outlets, insurance, banks, gas stations, laundromats, veterinary clinics and pet stores, warehousing, storage, and distribution, public transportation, and hotel and commercial lodging
2. PLEASE DO NOT COME IN IF YOU ARE SICK. We have a 24 hour cancellation policy for appointments, but we will NEVER charge you for a cancellation because you are ill. PLEASE let us know via a phone call or email prior to your appointment (preferably as far in advance as you can). Due to the lack of availability of coronavirus testing, we do not want to take any chances that you just have a "little cold" and still want to come in. The coronavirus symptoms are sometimes just a mild fever and cold symptoms for a couple of days...it may feel like any other mild cold/flu, but we just don't know and don't want to risk that it's more than that. Symptoms of CV could also be so severe that hospitalization could result from respiratory distress. Please think of those around you when you are "on the fence" about coming in to the studio. Please err on the conservative side, especially if you've recently had any symptoms resembling those of the coronavirus.
3. PILATES/GYROTONIC LESSONS. Since Governor Wolf has specified healthcare facilities as essential businesses which may remain open and since we teach one-on-one at Healing Motion, PC (no general membership and no crowds of people) and since exercise is an important way of maintaining proper function of your immune system, we will continue to offer our regular one-on-one exercise sessions.
4. FOLLOW SIMPLE STEPS TO MINIMIZE SPREAD OF COVID-19. Please wash your hands or spritz your hand with the readily available sanitizer when you arrive and again when you leave the studio. Before the outbreak started, we already cleaned equipment after each use and will continue to do so, but this extra step by you will help. We also sell non-skid reformer towels and non-skid socks of various styles to offer an extra layer of personal protection and hygiene, if you choose. In addition, we are already performing more frequent deep cleanings/disinfecting of the studio as an extra precaution.
5. WE WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED OF ANY CHANGES IN STATUS. There may be the need to reschedule or cancel appointments more last minute than before due to the fluid nature of how this virus is hitting us in all aspects of life, including school closures, new information on outbreaks/quarantines, etc. For now, assume that you have your appointment or class in the schedule as before unless you hear otherwise from us in a personal email. Pay attention to all emails that come from Healing Motion to ensure that you are aware of any of these changes.
6. REMEMBER THAT REGULAR EXERCISE IS GOOD FOR YOU. Make sure you keep moving, even if you find that you are not able to do it in our studio. We'll be here to help you when you need it.
Thanks for your help and your time.
J. Christopher Potts, PT, DPT
Healing Motion, PC
Physical Therapy & Wellness Center
5840 Ellsworth Ave. Suite 302
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
online scheduling link: https://app.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?owner=16845861
P.S. Stay well, and stay tuned for more details
At Healing Motion PC, we want to educate our patients responsibly about coronavirus and prevent the spread of misinformation. Here is our list of verified resources patients can trust to provide accurate information about COVID-19.